Major Research Awards
- Institute Lecture, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, 2016.
- Life Time Achievement Award, 2015 “in recognition of his Pioneering contributions in the area of Structural Reliability,” Society for Reliability and Safety.
- Inducted in to Teaching Excellence Award Wall, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 2014.
- Honorary Distinguished Visiting Professor, appointed by the Executive Council of the University, Bengal Engineering and Science University (second oldest Engineering Institute in India), Shibpur, India, 2013-2018.
- Invited Wenyuan Lecture Professorship, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2013.
- Elected Fellow of Structural Engineering Institute (SEI), ASCE, 2013.
- Elected Distinguished Member of ASCE, March, 2012 “For his exemplary - 44-year career as a world-class researcher, and his work as a peerless educator, mentor, and innovative practitioner, whose career includes the introduction of stochastic finite element method, a novel structural health assessment technique, an intelligent nonlinear seismic analysis technique, and an inspection-based maintenance strategy.”
- Excellent Contributions Award, 2011, International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, “For introducing uncertainty concept in geotechnical engineering, integrating it with structural engineering, proposing stochastic mechanics-based algorithms to implement it for practical problems and publishing extensively.”
- Educator of the Year, 2011, AzSCE-SAB, AzSCE-YMF, ASPE, SAITE, SAME, SCE, SDA, WTS.
- Selected one of 23 Scientists and Technologists of Indian Origin abroad (STIOs) (may be the only engineer) by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, (similar to U.S. National Science Foundation) for collaborative projects with Indian scientists and technologists during 2009-2011.
- John C. Park Outstanding Civil Engineer Award, 2007, Arizona Society of ASCE, “for substantially contributing to the status of the civil engineering profession through distinguished service and outstanding achievement.”
- Hind Rattan (Jewel of India) Award, 2007, “for outstanding services, achievements and contributions” Nonresident Indian Welfare Society of India, New Delhi, India.
- da Vinci Award, 2005, recipient of the inaugural fellowship for distinguished and sustained record in the area of teaching, research and service to the department, college, university and profession, College of Engineering, University of Arizona. He was awarded $5,000 for the fellowship.
- 2005 Distinguished Alumnus Award, Civil and Environmental Engineering Alumni Association, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (considered to be one of the top three universities in Civil Engineering).
- Conference Award winner, 8th International Conference on Inspection, Appraisal, Repairs and Maintenance of Structures, Singapore, December 18-19, 2003.
- Honourable Diploma, the Czech Society for Mechanics, 2002, “recognizing the contributions to risk-based design, stochastic finite element method, in organizing Euro-SiBRAM 2002 International Colloquium and the educational activities in the Czech Republic.”
- Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1987, "for his research on risk-based design in civil engineering, innovatively blending probability theory with the concepts of structural, geotechnical, energy, and construction engineering to produce realistic, practical approaches to civil engineering problems."
- First Presidential Young Investigator Award, 1984. Jointly awarded by President Ronald Reagan and the National Science Foundation, “In recognition of ability and potential for contributing to the future vitality of the scientific and engineering effort of the nation." The award totaled $500,000 over five years from the National Science Foundation.
- Invited by IUTAM (International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics) several times to make technical presentations.
- Invited by - NATO - Advanced Study Institute to make a technical presentation.
- Sigma Xi Research Award, Sigma Xi Georgia Tech Chapter.
- Award of Merit, Bechtel Power Corporation.
- Honorary Citation, Outstanding Graduate Student of the Department of Civil Engineering, by Professor C.P. Siess, Head, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, 1975.
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, University of Illinois, 1975.
- Outstanding Young Man of America, awarded by Outstanding Young Men of America, Washington, D.C., 1974.
- Government of India Merit Scholarship, 1963-1968 (five years award).
- University Gold Medal for standing First in Order of Merit in the Bachelor of Civil Engineering Examination, 1968.
- Jadavpur University Honor Award (awarded to those who maintain an exceptionally high level of scholastic achievement throughout their five years of study and are also of high moral character), 1968.
- Civil Engineering Department Gold Medal, Jadavpur University, 1968.
Major Teaching Awards
Undergraduate Teaching Awards
University of Arizona
- Arizona Engineering Education Fellow, 2012-13, College of Engineering, University of Arizona.
- Accolades Outstanding Faculty Award, 2011, Robert N. Shelton, President, University of Arizona and Center for Student Involvement & Leadership.
- Award for Excellence at the Student Interface, College of Engineering, University of Arizona, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, and 2004, “in appreciation of your special efforts to serve our students well”. Most likely, it was initiated in 2004.
- Outstanding Faculty Member Award, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2008, 2006, 2004, 1991, graduating class, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Arizona.
- Accolades Nomination for Outstanding Faculty Award, 2010, University of Arizona.
- Five Star Faculty Award – Finalist, 2007, the Honors College, University of Arizona.
- Burlington North Foundation Faculty Achievement Award, 2000, University of Arizona. This award recognizes a faculty member who has demonstrated unusually significant and meritorious achievement in teaching and scholarship throughout his/her career at the University of Arizona. The Burlington North Foundation acknowledged the importance of this award by presenting the sum of $2,900 to the recipient.
- Honorary Member of the Department of Civil Engineering and Mines, University of Sonora, Mexico, 2000.
- Professor of the Year Award, 1998, "For his outstanding performance in and out of the classroom, which has been paramount in our development scholastically as well as professionally," University of Arizona.
Georgia Institute of Technology
- Outstanding Teacher Award, 1987, for being the best professor at Georgia Tech, selected by the Faculty Honors Committee, "in recognition of his excellence in teaching, inspiration to students, and intellectual integrity." The Amoco Foundation acknowledged the importance of this award by presenting the sum of $1,500 to the recipient.
- Outstanding Civil Engineering Faculty Member Award, organized by the Georgia Tech student chapter of ASCE, 1982 and 1987, "in recognition of his service to the institution, to the science of engineering, and his dedication to the students."
- Received 100th percentile (highest) ratings in student evaluations several times.
- Honor Member of Chi Epsilon. It is a national award. Honor Membership is awarded to members of the Civil Engineering community who display excellence in the field of Civil Engineering.
Illinois Institute of Technology
· Received highest rating in student evaluations, published in the students’ newspaper, of the Armour College of Engineering staff, Illinois Institute of Technology, Fall semester of 1978 and Spring semester of 1979, the two semesters he taught there.
Dr. Haldar supervised the maximum number of M.S. and Doctoral students in Structural Engineering in the CEEM department since his arrival in 1988. He supervised most of the M.S. students in structural engineering. If he is not the supervisor, he becomes a member of the final defense committee. For doctoral students, in most years he administered qualifying examination and gave two of the four parts examination. For doctoral students in Structural Engineering in the CEEM department, if he is not the supervisor, he becomes a member of the Doctoral Examination committee. He also served as a doctoral examination committee member for many Geotechnical Engineering and Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering students in the CEEM department. Dr. Haldar was also a member of doctoral examination committee of numerous doctoral students in the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering students.
- Graduate Advisor of the Year, 2004, Graduate and Professional Student Council, University of Arizona.
- Dr. Haldar advised a large number of domestic and international graduate students. Some of his former students are now very well established university professors in Canada, Korea, Mexico, Jordan, Taiwan, and U.S. Some of his other doctoral students are providing national leadership with Raytheon Corporation, Sikorsky Helicopter, and many other Civil Engineering design firms.
Major Recognitions for Professional Service
- Guest Editor, special issue on Prognostics & Structuring Health Management, SRESA’s International Journal of Life Cycle Reliability and Safety Engineering, Vol. 4, Issue 1, Jan – March, 2015 and Issue 2, April – June, 2015.
- Founding Editor-in-Chief of “International Journal of Engineering under Uncertainty: Hazards, Assessment, and Mitigation”, New Delhi, India, 2008 – 2011.
- Organizer and Chair of Scientific committee, ISEUSAM-2012, International Symposium on Engineering under Uncertainty: Safety Assessment and Management, 2012.
- Honorable Recognition Award, 2006, Safety Engineering and Risk Analysis Division, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Outstanding Faculty Award, 2001, The University of Arizona Asian American Faculty, Staff and Alumni Association, “In recognition of exemplary accomplishments of scholarship, teaching and contributions of service to the profession, the University of Arizona and to the community”.
- Structural Engineering Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers’ Service Award, 2000, “in recognition of distinguished service to the Institute as Chair of the Structural Safety and Reliability Technical Administrative Committee”.
- Governor's Recognition Award, 1996, "Recognizing Quality, Excellence and Continuous Improvement in Arizona State Government", by Governor Fife Symington of the State of Arizona.
- Invited Member, International Association for Structural Safety and Reliability.
- Invited member, International Association of Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (ICASP).
- Invited Member, American Academy of Mechanics.
- Editorial Board Member of numerous international journals.
- Organized, moderated, and chaired technical sessions in numerous international gatherings.
- Chair, International Scientific Committee and organized European-Simulation Based Reliability Assessment Method (Euro-SiBRAM’2002), Prague, Czech Republic.
- Member of International Scientific Committee, numerous international organizations.
- Associate Editor, Journal of the Structural Engineering, ASCE, 1992 - 1995.
- Program Chair, Safety Engineering and Risk Analysis Division (SERAD), American Society of Mechanical Engineering, 2005 – 2006.
- Organized and co-Chaired Probabilistic Mechanics Conference, ASCE, University of Notre Dame, 2000.
- Chair, Technical Administrative Committee on Structural Safety and Reliability, ASCE, responsible at the national level for committees on Safety of Buildings, Reliability of Offshore Structures, Safety of Bridges, and Fatigue and Fracture Reliability, 1995-1999.
- Chair or member of numerous ASCE-sponsored technical committees.
- Organized, moderated, and chaired technical sessions in numerous national gatherings.
- Organized ASCE’s 150th anniversary celebration session, Past, Present, and Future of Reliability-Based Structural Design Worldwide, 2002.
- Technical Advisor, National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C., March 1992 to 1997.
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1990- present.
- Professional Engineer, State of Arizona, 1989 – present, State of California, 1978 – present, State of Illinois, 1979 - 1993 (currently inactive), and State of Georgia, 1980 - 1993 (currently inactive).
- Invited to make presentations at the Central Research Institute of Building and Construction, Ministry of Metallurgical Industry, Beijing, Qinghua University, Beijing, and Tongji University, Shanghai, jointly sponsored by the People's Republic of China and the National Science Foundation. (This was very significant at that time; before China opened to the outside world).